OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:56:35 -0700
While  scouting some local lakes and reservoirs today for waterfowl we had pretty good diversity and numbers of both diving and puddle ducks but the big news was all the Tundra Swans we found on Walborn Reservoir in Stark Co., Lake Milton in Mahoning Co. & West Branch Resv. in Portage Co.  (Even though these lakes are in 3 different counties, they are very close to each other.)  Between the 3 lakes, we saw easily 550 swans.  The smallest number was 48 at West Branch.  They were all resting on the ice; no feeding seemed to be happening.

Another treat was a Lesser Black-backed Gull at the causeway on Berlin Lake.

Laura & Tim Dornan
Stark Co.