OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2014 17:13:55 -0400
We checked several places for ducks and geese in Medina, Lorain, and Wayne
Counties.

Chippewa Lake in Medina County is almost completely ice covered. We found
both Common and Red-breasted Mergansers and quite a few Ring-billed Gulls
using the small areas of open water. The Bald Eagles were at the nest on
Westfield Landing although we could not determine if they had eggs in the
nest.

Spencer Lake in Medina County is also mostly ice covered.

The Wellington Upground Reservoir (one of our favorite spots for water
birds) was ice covered. Two Canada Geese were on the dike and on was in the
little open water by the boat ramp.

Funk Bottoms Wildlife Area and Wilderness Road in Wayne County is where the
ducks and swans are! We saw thousands of ducks (Northern Pintail, American
Wigeon, Mallards, Green-winged Teal, Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ring-necked
Ducks, and Tundra Swans in good numbers).  The water is not covering any of
the roads in this area and is free of ice for the ducks, geese, and swans.

Ken Ostermiller
Westfield Center