OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Laura Peskin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Peskin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2014 20:31:06 -0400
I guess the early bird gets the bird and the worm.

Barrett,Robert P [log in to unmask]
via<http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1311182&ctx=mail>
 listserv.muohio.edu
Mar 23 (1 day ago)
to OHIO-BIRDS
Just a few minutes ago, while walking around our neighborhood in Fairlawn,
west of Akron, Summit County, I saw a sharp-shinned hawk attack a robin.
 The Robin was doing its usual business, searching for food on an open
lawn, when a slightly larger bird swooped down and landed on it, pinning
the Robin to the ground.
The robin let out a peep in surprise and then was heard no more.  It did
not struggle.  The hawk stood on top of it, looking very assertive and
triumphant, for about a minute.  Then it took flight, and with very little
effort carried the limp Robin over the next house and out of sight.

Dr. Bob Barrett
Department of Geosciences
at
University of Akron