OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Robert Hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2014 22:49:45 -0400
...an interesting question, for which there is no good answer. I come
from a time when there were perhaps hundreds of percents more birds, and
there were more wild spaces and much larger populations of everything. I
hear things like Pow's question and am reminded of the First People in
Canada talking about birch trees from which canoes were made, lamenting
that no one alive today can imagine how large in circumference the
birches were then, when today a "large" birch is perhaps less than a
quarter the size of those trees then. So are the bird populations. I saw
fallouts almost yearly at Point Pelee when the bushes were colored like
Christmas trees with so many warblers they were uncountable. But I
digress. Cleveland Metroparks Natural Resource Manager John Mack said
not long ago that humans have so disrupted and disturbed "nature" and
"wild populations" that we might as well get used to the idea that we
will ALWAYS have to be artificially manage wild populations, barring a
catastrophic crash in human populations world-wide. While I didn't much
like what he said then, I have come to believe that he was 100% correct.
Like it or not, humans have become the largest bull in the proverbial
china shop, and only humans can try to put some of the china back on the
shelf. Ethical, moral and scientific arguments aside, try to decide how
to help wildlife - what's left of it - in the best way you can to
benefit the species for the greatest time.. do no harm. You decide what
that is....

Bob Hinkle
Solon, Ohio