OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Don Obermeier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Obermeier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2014 14:46:44 -0700
All,

I am relatively new to "officially" bird watching and just recently signed up for the List serve. This is my first post.

I was driving by Pine Lake yesterday and drove through a very expensive development under construction.  I noticed a lot of the birds mentioned below and also noticed a pair of Double Crested Cormorant.  At least, that is what I think they were.  They were partially submerged with orange beaks and they kept diving for fish.  I did not see them spread their wings to dry though.  They looked like mini Loch Ness Monsters.

I have loved bird watching unofficially for years but just started trying to get out birding.  I have been seeing many migrating ducks at Medina Lake and Rustic Hills Lake in Medina (canvasback, redhead, ring-necked duck, bufflehead, hooded merganser, common merganser, red-breasted merganser) and probably have seen other birds I was not able to recognize.  It was amazing seeing my first hooded merganser as I love ducks.

Don Obermeier
5636 Trystin Tree Drive
Medina, Ohio 44256
(330) 952-0547 home