OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2014 16:40:43 -0400
I got out a bit before the rains this morning, visiting several spots along the east shore of Alum Creek Lake, north of Columbus.  Waterfowl fallout wasn't intense, but there were some good finds, including

Surf Scoters - 3 were off SummerRidge access
White-winged Scoters - 4 were off SummerRidge access
Common Goldeneyes - 3 were off SummerRidge, and another 1 was off Cheshire
Bufflehead - 8 were off New Galena, while 2 more were off SummerRidge
Lesser Scaup - small flocks in the lower reservoir, but a long group of 300+ birds was off the north side of Cheshire bridge
Redhead - small numbers at several places, perhaps 12 in all
Canvasback - at least 15 were mixed in with the scaup at Cheshire
N.Shovelers - small numbers at several locations
Blue-winged Teal a group of 6 was in the entrance pond at SummerRidge access
Ruddy Ducks - at least 30 were with the big scaup flock at Cheshire
Common Loons - no big fallout, but 25 were scattered along the shore, with 15 at SummerRidge
Horned Grebes - small groups at every stops, perhaps 30 in all
Cormorants - at least 2 were around the Cheshire bridge

Landbirds were nothing special, but I did have early migrants like Tree Swallows, Yellow-rumped warblers, Towhees, and Field Sparrows at several spots.  A few Tree Sparrows were still lingering at New Galena and SummerRidge.