OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2014 18:08:52 -0400
Well, I figured since I had the day of that I had better not waste it, so I
went birding. :-D    Below are all of the ponds and areas that I went to.
Basically, I left LaRue and went down Dudley Twp Rd (CR 190) towards
Lawrence Woods.  On the way there I had a mile-ish where I got a few
normal...but interesting birds...so I made a quick list for that. Notable
for me was the RBGUs out in the field...never really seen them on that
road, they weren't feeding...more like waiting out the wind. Had an Eagle
as well.

Then I braved the cold sleeting wind and went through Lawrence Woods SNP
quickly (for me) and got some new stuff for me for that park.  Best was 3
Woodcock and a Brown Creeper.

Then I headed over to Killdeer Plains and hit the reservoir, pond 33, pond
3, and the big wetlands pond known as "Harold Roe Wetland".  The Horned
Grebes at the Reservoir were either in, or nearing full breeding plumage.
Also had two Loonies!  Interesting bird for me was finding a lone Mute Swan
at the Harold Roe Wetlands.

I also made a list of birds found while traveling,  around Killdeer.  Best
for me were 3 American Pipits (photographic lifer) and a FOY Snipe (both
were near the tower behind the reservoir).

50 species for the day...and I'm tired. :-D

Individual lists below.

Will post pics on Facebook (Birding Ohio, and sjlarue photography) and my
webpage (www.sjlarue.com) as well as eBird when I get my webpage updated.

Happy Birding, and God Bless.

Steve J.

2014-03-29 10:59
Dudley, 21035 County Road 190
Protocol: Traveling
1 Miles
4 Minutes
Observers: 1
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Mostly to report the gulls.
    6    Turkey Vulture
    1    Bald Eagle
    30    Ring-billed Gull    in field resting
    2    Mourning Dove
    2    American Kestrel
    4    American Robin

2014-03-29 11:10
Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 Miles
117 Minutes
Observers: 1
All birds reported? Yes
    4    Canada Goose
    6    Wood Duck
    2    Northern Shoveler
    1    Great Blue Heron
    12    Turkey Vulture
    2    Northern Harrier
    1    Red-tailed Hawk
    3    American Woodcock
    2    Mourning Dove
    2    Red-bellied Woodpecker
    2    Downy Woodpecker
    1    American Kestrel
    2    Eastern Phoebe
    4    Blue Jay
    2    American Crow
    1    Carolina Chickadee
    3    Tufted Titmouse
    2    White-breasted Nuthatch
    3    Brown Creeper
    4    American Robin
    2    European Starling
    2    American Tree Sparrow
    4    Northern Cardinal
    4    Red-winged Blackbird
    2    Eastern Meadowlark
    10    Common Grackle

2014-03-29 14:36
Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area--Reservoir
Protocol: Stationary
24 Minutes
Observers: 1
All birds reported? Yes
    20    Canada Goose
    1    Lesser Scaup
    2    Common Loon
    2    Pied-billed Grebe
    10    Horned Grebe
    1    Great Blue Heron
    2    Turkey Vulture
    2    Ring-billed Gull
    2    American Crow
    4    American Robin

2014-03-29 15:01
Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area--Pond 33
Protocol: Stationary
7 Minutes
Observers: 1
All birds reported? Yes
    4    Canada Goose
    100    Ring-necked Duck
    100    Lesser Scaup

2014-03-29 15:17
Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area--Pond 3
Protocol: Stationary
23 Minutes
Observers: 1
All birds reported? Yes
    6    Canada Goose
    100    Gadwall
    100    American Wigeon
    50    Redhead
    100    Ring-necked Duck
    100    Lesser Scaup
    8    Hooded Merganser
    2    Pied-billed Grebe
    20    American Coot

2014-03-29 16:24
Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area--Harold Roe Wetland
Protocol: Stationary
10 Minutes
Observers: 1
All birds reported? Yes
    50    Canada Goose
    1    Mute Swan
    200    Gadwall
    100    Mallard
    200    Redhead

2014-03-29 15:12
Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area
Protocol: Traveling
12 Miles
100 Minutes
Observers: 1
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: These are not including the birds I saw in the ponds, those birds
are on separate hotspot checklist. These birds are the ones that I saw
while traveling to the different ponds.
    20    Canada Goose
    20    Mallard
    10    Blue-winged Teal