OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2014 08:21:33 -0500
What a gorgeous day yesterday for birding the lakefront.  Three of us spent
the day from Fairport Harbor to Wendy Park and were rewarded with some
First-of-the-year sightings as well as great photo ops with the abundant
sunshine https://www.flickr.com/photos/85567104@N05/.

Veterans Park in Mentor still has a variety of ducks that are easy to access
from their trails.

Dike 14 (Cleveland Lakefront Preserve) gave us a Towhee and Savannah,
Chipping, Tree, Song (lots!) and Swamp Sparrow on land and an Iceland Gull
on the water at the mouth of the harbor.  The "sparrow field" was alive with
activity!  Please be courteous and stay on the trail.

Merwin Street in the West Flats had 12 Black-crowned Night Herons on the
west bank.

Wendy Park still has a lot of gulls and we saw a few Glaucous and lots of
Great Black-backed.  We had our best (and most comfortable) observing by the
Coast Guard Station which provided a nice wind block.   Some nice looking
Horned Grebe's in the river.

So glad the migration has begun!!!

Matt Valencic

Geauga County