OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Lukas Padegimas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lukas Padegimas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2014 19:03:57 -0500
__

<http://cts.vresp.com/fbl?ad89896ab6/13421a52b5/http%3A%2F%2Fhosted-p0.vresp
.com%2F553676%2Fad89896ab6%2FARCHIVE%23like>
http://img-ak.verticalresponse.com/social_sharing/social_sharing.placeholder
.facebook.png

<http://cts.vresp.com/ts?ad89896ab6/13421a52b5/http%3A%2F%2Fapi.addthis.com%
2Foexchange%2F0.8%2Fforward%2Ftwitter%2Foffer%3Ftemplate%3D%257B%257Btitle%2
57D%257D%2B%257B%257Burl%257D%257D%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fhosted-p0.vres
p.com%252F553676%252Fad89896ab6%252FARCHIVE%26shortener%3Dbitly%26title%3DMa
rch%2B9%2BFriend%2BRaiser>
http://img-ak.verticalresponse.com/social_sharing/social_sharing.placeholder
.twitter.png

<http://cts.vresp.com/ls?ad89896ab6/13421a52b5/http%3A%2F%2Fapi.addthis.com%
2Foexchange%2F0.8%2Fforward%2Flinkedin%2Foffer%3Ftemplate%3D%257B%257Btitle%
257D%257D%2B%257B%257Burl%257D%257D%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fhosted-p0.vre
sp.com%252F553676%252Fad89896ab6%252FARCHIVE%26shortener%3Dbitly%26title%3DM
arch%2B9%2BFriend%2BRaiser>
http://img-ak.verticalresponse.com/social_sharing/social_sharing.placeholder
.linkedin.png

Western Cuyahoga Audubon Society, Kirtland Bird Club, and
Audubon Society of Greater Cleveland present the following special event:

"The Lost Bird Project" and Saving Species from Extinction

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Auditorium
2:00-4:00 p.m., Sunday, March 9, 2014

  _____

One hundred years ago this September, Martha, the last Passenger Pigeon,
fell dead in her cage at the Cincinnati Zoo. With her death, the Passenger
Pigeon, once the most numerous bird species in the world, became extinct.

The stunning loss of this and other species at that time became a wake-up
call to conservationists and helped garner support for the modern
conservation movement. As a result of this push for conservation 100 years
ago, many species have been nurtured back to healthy populations and their
habitats have been preserved. Some species considered rare or endangered
just a short time ago have staged remarkable recoveries, such as Bald Eagles
and Peregrine Falcons.

Yet even now, in the 21st century, we still hear about an impending
extinction crisis that prompts us to ask the following questions:

*       What have we learned from the extinction of these once common
species?
*       How are we keeping the memory of these extinct species alive and
relevant?
*       How are we helping to strengthen wildlife populations today and
preserve the habitats that are necessary for their survival?
*       How can people become involved and help?

The program will attempt to answer these questions through a viewing of the
film, the "Lost Bird Project," followed by a panel discussion.  The film
highlights the work of artist Todd McGrain and his effort to create
memorials for five extinct species close to the area where the last of their
kind lived.

Following the film, we will convene a panel of local experts who will speak
about their efforts to improve the future for wild things and wild places,
both regionally and across the planet. We envision a lively discussion
between panelists and the audience about successful strategies for
preserving habitats and species, including how participants can become
involved.

Please join us from 2:00-4:00 p.m. on Sunday March 9, 2014 at the Cleveland
Metroparks Zoo Auditorium (adjacent to the main gate in the Administration
Building) for this unique and free program.  We also envision the event as a
"friend-raiser" and encourage you to bring a friend with you!

This program is co-sponsored by Western Cuyahoga Audubon Society, Kirtland
Bird Club, and the Audubon Society of Greater Cleveland.

Free admission, parking, and refreshments!  Open to the public - bring your
friends!

For more information, contact any of the following organizational officers:
Tom Romito, Western Cuyahoga Audubon Society, at
Mark Demyan, Audubon Society of Greater Cleveland, at
Lukas Padegimas, Kirtland Bird Club, at

WCAS LOGOKBC logoASGC logo copyZOO LOGO