OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2014 12:57:36 -0800
I had good success birding at several places in eastern Mahoning Co. today.  Pine L. had an open water hole at the north end; and Yellow Creek was also open where it exits at Pine L. and at Evans L.  Evans L. itself was still completely frozen.  Birds at Pine L. included: Canada geese, 7 tundra swans, 10 gadwalls, 8 Am. black ducks, mallards, 20 Am. wigeon, 40 n. pintails, 4 n. shovelers, 2 green-winged teal, 8 canvasbacks, 6 redheads, 45 ring-necked ducks, greater scaup, 12 lesser scaup, a male WHITE-WINGED SCOTER, 3 buffleheads, 25 common mergansers, 3 red-breasted mergansers, ruddy duck, pied-billed grebe, a pair of red-shouldered hawks (seen copulating), red-tailed hawk, 3 bald eagles, killdeer, 175 ring-billed gulls, 4 herring gulls, n. flicker, 2 e. bluebirds, Am. robins, and a couple red-winged blackbirds on territory.  Around Evans L. I saw great blue heron, red-shouldered hawk, and e. bluebird.  In southern Poland Twp. were Cooper's hawk,
 red-shouldered hawk, and 15 c. grackles.  "Spring" migration is definitely under way!!  Craig Holt, Poland Twp.