OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Brian Wulker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Wulker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2014 22:44:00 -0500
I birded both the Great and Little Miami River Valleys (Cincinnati area)
today in search of waterfowl and as many Red-necked Grebes as I could find. 22
Species of waterfowl and 17 total Red-necked Grebes were highlights.

Red-necked Grebes: 2 at Campbell Lakes Preserve, 2 at the Stricker's Grove
Gravel Pit (near Fernald on SR 128), 10 at the Ross OH Gravel Pit (lots of
hiding places, hard to get a good count. 13 previously reported), 1 at
Newtown Gravel Pits, 1 at the driveway pond at 4 Seasons Marina, and 1 at
the Cincinnati Waterworks Ponds near California Golf Course. I missed
previously reported birds at Armleder Park, St. Rose Church on the Ohio
River, and Camp Dennison Gravel Pits (7 total).  All of these locations are
in Hamilton Co except for the Ross OH Gravel Pit, which is in Butler.

Scoters:
19 White-winged and 1 Surf seen from St Rose Church on the Ohio River, 1
White-winged at Lake Isabella Park, and 4 White-winged at the Ross OH
Gravel Pit.

Other Waterfowl:
There were good sized flocks of Gadwall, Wigeon, Pintail, Mallard, Blacks,
and Green-winged Teal at Armleder Park and Miami Whitewater Wetlands.
Divers were present in low-medium numbers at most locations. Ring-necked,
Redhead, Lesser Scaup and Red-breasted Merganser were most common.

I also had my 1st Tree Swallow of the year at the Newtown Gravel Pits.

Lastly, this evening Bill Hull, Gale Wulker and I tried listening for
Woodcocks at Armleder. We had at least 1 Woodcock flyover, but none
displayed. We also had a flyover Wilson's Snipe. Photos from the day up at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bdwulker/

Good birding,

Brian Wulker