OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Bob Riggs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Riggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2014 23:37:37 -0500
Robert and I started a new tradition last year, attempting to get 100 species within 100 miles of our residence in the first 100 days of the year.  We've had a blast so far.  Last year we were short of our goal.  But of course it is more satisfying to achieve something that is a little more difficult, especially working together.  Happy to report we are at 94, which is ahead of where we were last year.  I feel confident we will achieve our goal this year!

Today was a wonderful day birding, we started at Haul Rd.  There was a nice variety of waterfowl, not to mention great looks at the nesting Bald Eagles and the Great Horned Owls.  We saw the red necked grebes, a Northern Pintail, Green Winged Teal, Redheads, Canada Geese, Ring Neck Ducks, and several Ring Billed Gulls. We also had the opportunity to meet Jim Fry, who was also out birding at the time.

We ventured to Greenlawn Cemetery to look for a Merlin, however no luck.  However the feeders were full and attracting many wonderful birds. So we decided to head over to the Greenlawn Dam where Bob proposed to me three years ago, during a picnic lunch- needless to say a very special place for me!  It was a nice treat, we saw three species of mergansers, Double Crested comorant, Common Golden Eye, and Great Blue Heron.

Our final stretch was Griggs Reservoir and O'Shannausey Dam.  We made a quick stop at Kiwainis River Park.  As we made our way down to the river we saw an absolutely beautiful Red Shouldered Hawk, who we were able to observe for several minutes.  As we continued down the path we observed a Brown Creeper, Common Grackle,several Ring Billed Gulls, American Coots, and Mallards.

Moving on to Griggs Reservouir we observed several gulls fighting for fish, it was quite a sight.  As we were leaving the area, we saw a Peregrine Falcon and a Coopers Hawk- Awesome!

By the time we hit O'Shaunnesey Dam it was getting dark and sprinkling, so we called it a night.  What a wonderful time we Had, or I should say what a wonderful time I had with the Love of My Life who introduced me to birding about five years ago.

We plan to attend the Blendon Wood birding walk in the morning, hoping to pick a bird or two towards our 100/100/100.

Happy Birding!

Annie and Bob Riggs

Robert D. Riggs
Pataskala, OH