OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Leslie Sours <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Sours <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2014 20:48:58 -0500
I located an all white gull at Kiwanis at 8:30 this morning.  It was at the south end where the trail ends, near a stump out in the water. I initially found it swimming and managed a few photos.  It flew, wheeling around a few times and showed no black anywhere.  It landed on the ice, so I was able to see legs, height, coloration and get a few more photos.  Rather than post immediately, I sent the photos to Paul Hurtado for proper ID. He believes that it could be the same Iceland seen further south on the river earlier this week.  He also said that it would be one of only 3 or 4 recorded for Delaware County if it can be relocated as it moves further north.  We might want to keep an eye on the reservoirs upriver.  Sincere thanks to Paul for helping me ID my first solo white-wing gull discovery.  I could easily have gone Glaucous.

While gull watching, I heard a lot of noise in a small sapling.  There were 5 downy woodpeckers in one small tree.  You don't see that every day!  Four were males.  They would pair up, "chase" around and around the trunk, then face one another and display with wings back, erect posture, and tails spread.  I have never seen this before...quite amazing. The female appeared to be rather bored with it all.  Does anyone know more about this?

Leslie

Sent from my iPad