From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:08:34 -0400
I open the barn loft door about 8" every April 1 to allow any birds that
wish to come in and check the place out for nesting.  I went up to the loft
today and after a Junco flew out the door I discovered a new nest with two
eggs between the bales of hay!

Junco's started nesting in our barn in 2009 and the first clutch was hatched
about May 7 or 8, 2009.  Because of the shelter of the barn they usually
have 3 successful broods each year and our yard is filled with Junco's year
'round.  During winter we can count 10 or more under the feeder on a snowy
day.

We also have Barn Swallows constructing a nest above one of the light
fixtures on the ground level.  This will be the 3rd year for Swallows.

We had one successful Phoebe several years ago but none since.  Maybe they
will come back this year - we can hope!

Matt Valencic

Fox Meadow Farm

Geauga County.