From:
Heather A <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather A <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2014 12:17:58 -0400
Yesterday afternoon while driving home from work, I spotted 3 egrets along
the margin of a very small pond on private property (corner of Radford and
Baker Rd, for anyone who knows the area).  I can only assume they were Great
Egrets - by the time I got home to retrieve binoculars and a spotting scope
and then back to the spot of the sighting (about 30 minutes), they were
gone.  I looked around on neighboring roads (there's a small "creek"
(i.e.drainage runoff) and some agricultural fields that collect water during
heavy rains very nearby), but was unsuccessful in relocating them.  They
looked to be the size of Great Blue Herons, thus my assumption they were
Great Egrets.

While I had my gear with me, I drove to another pond that I like to frequent
for waterfowl that's about 10 minutes from home.  All I found there were 2
pair of Ring-necked Ducks and a single Pied-billed Grebe.

Heather Aubke
Athens County