From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2014 20:53:52 -0400
Tuesday, April 22, 2014 is Earth Day and the April Columbus Audubon monthly
program.  What better way to celebrate a 'Happy Earth Day' than listening to
Jim McCormac enlighten us about our natural world.  We hope to see you at
our last monthly meeting of the season.  Come see your friends, talk about
migration and Birdathon strategy.  Be sure to take the bird quiz and get a
ticket for a door prize. Members expected and guests quite welcomed!

Best,

Darlene Sillick and Nadya Bennett

Columbus Audubon, co-program chairs

Ohio is a treasure trove of biodiversity. Over 1,800 native plants green the
state, providing habitat for nearly 200 breeding bird species. Countless
insects fuel our birds and other predators, and some of these "bugs" are
truly extraordinary. Our lakes and rivers spawn fabulous food chains, and
we're bookended by two of North America's most significant aquatic
ecosystems: the Ohio River, and Lake Erie. Please join us as Jim McCormac
helps us to explore Ohio's greatest natural areas, look at what we've lost,
and delve into our most interesting flora and fauna via images and words.

Jim McCormac has spent his entire adult life exploring Ohio and seeking out
the rarest of the rare. His 2009 book Wild Ohio: The Best of Our Natural
Heritage, is a celebration of the best remaining habitats in the Buckeye
State. Jim is a longtime employee of the Ohio Department of Natural
Resources, writes a column, Nature, for the Columbus Dispatch, and has
authored two other books: Birds of Ohio, and the Great Lakes Nature Guide.
He is at work on a book on the wood-warblers of eastern North America.

7:00 - 7:15 pm: Short Program: Amanda Duren, Program Coordinator for the
Ohio Bird Conservation Initiative and Columbus Audubon Board member, will
share Unconventional Conservation: Highways as Habitat for the American
Kestrel.

7:15 - 7:30 pm: social time, light refreshments

7:30 pm: Main program

Post program book signing by Jim. Bring your own copy or visit the GIAC
store to purchase one of his books.  Be sure to visit Jim's blog Ohio Birds
and Diversity   www.jimmccormac.blogspot.com/

Columbus Audubon programs are free and open to the public. All programs are
held at the Grange Insurance Audubon Center 505 West Whittier St in the
Scioto-Audubon Metro Park on the Whittier Peninsula.
www.columbusaudubon.org