From:
Adam Zorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Zorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2014 11:00:19 -0400
33 species were observed during "Birds Before Work" on the Nickle Plate Trail this morning.  Excellent views of a Cooper's Hawk at the Pinevale trailhead for the second visit in a row.  One House Wren was singing from the brush on the west side of the paved path adjacent to the Pinevale trailhead parking lot, but I could not get my eyes on it.  Walking a half mile north there were many White-throated Sparrows still present in the honeysuckle hedgerows just south of Metzger Park.  One Dark-eyed Junco was spotted foraging in the same area.  A Hermit Thrush was present in the same vicinity.  The southern edge of Metzger Park, adjacent to the trail, delivered 3 Brown Thrashers and a single, singing Eastern Meadowlark.  A full list of observed species is noted below.
Good birding,Adam ZornProgram ManagerHuston-Brumbaugh Nature Center

Nickelplate Trail - between Georgetown Rd and Metzger Park, Stark, US-OH
Apr 17, 2014 7:00 AM - 8:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Birds Before Work  Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.3
33 species

Canada Goose  4     flying over
Mallard  2     in pond below high tension power line structure, south end of Metzger Park
Cooper's Hawk  1     At the Pinevale trailhead
Ring-billed Gull  15     flying over
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  5
Northern Flicker  3
Eastern Phoebe  1
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  2
Tree Swallow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
House Wren  1     singing near the Pinevale trailhead but not seen
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  12
Eastern Bluebird  1 heard but not seen
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  14
Brown Thrasher  3     All 3 were near the edge of Metzger Park
European Starling  X
Eastern Towhee  8
Field Sparrow  4
Song Sparrow  2
White-throated Sparrow  25
Dark-eyed Junco  1
Northern Cardinal  7
Red-winged Blackbird  18     Mostly males, 2 females near the Pinevale trailhead
Eastern Meadowlark  1     On the edge of Metzger Park
Common Grackle  20
Brown-headed Cowbird  10
American Goldfinch  6