From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:01:42 -0400
My wife Denise and I, along with state park naturalist Richelle Moore, gave a waterfowl program at Guilford Lake State Park in Columbiana County this morning, Saturday, from 9AM to 11AM. We had the presentation on the south shore of the lake, at The Red Maple Landing parking area. Waterfowl was in low numbers, but good birds were had. The highlight was a Red-necked Grebe in near breeding plumage, showing beautiful red on the neck. The celebrity visitor was constantly diving and feeding, gorging itself with fish. Of the twenty-eight species seen, some of the other highlights were; Cliff Swallow, Bonaparte's Gull, Ruddy Duck, Bald Eagle, Lesser Scaup, Red-breasted Merganser, and gads of American Coots. The Red-necked Grebe can best be viewed at the east end of the lake by the dam spillway.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County