From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2014 11:09:23 -0400
Haans and all,

Collecting statistical information about outdoor values and participation is
a specialized field. I am not competent to comment on integrity of reported
numbers. My reasonable assumption is that the methodology is applied
consistently across interest groups and that the math is good. I leave it to
peer-review to uncover problems and disseminate concerns.

I do know what I see. I visited nearby Blendon Woods Metropark, Columbus,
recently. I strolled along the paved walk to the Thoreau Pond waterfowl
observation blind, listening (and looking, of course) for Red-headed
Woodpeckers and other birds along the way. I carried Leitz binoculars and a
Swarovski scope. I entered the blind and found a young couple really engaged
in waterfowl watching, checking their ID's against faded images framed along
the lintel of the blind. They did not carry binocs. They used the built-in
swivel-mount scope. I offered them views through my scope. They did not ask
for ID help, they seemed to enjoy the challenge. These are bird-watchers as
much as I am a bird-watcher, why not? I traveled to the location in order to
see birds, so did they. Whether or not we call them bird-watchers, they
represent the future of bird conservation (a wildlife-watcher in Yellowstone
NP is anyone driving through the park to see bison or elk or anything
else--even if they can't distinguish between a mountain goat and a bighorn
ram). Haans, you and I are the rare breed, not that couple in the waterfowl
blind. They will decide for us, the future of bird conservation. At best, we
can offer some leadership and assistance to them. Some of them will become
us, I hope.

Tom Bain
Ohio's Clayey Till Plain
Delaware County