From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2014 23:01:22 -0400
I headed back to Vinton Furnace State Forest again today. I originally planned to head elsewhere in the evening, but there was enough there to keep me busy all day (with a mid-day nap in the car).

The numbers of some species exploded in the past week, mainly Blue-winged Warblers which are now just about as abundant and widespread as the Prairies are there. Hooded Warblers are also present in large numbers everywhere. Joining them in the clear cuts now are the first Yellow-breasted Chats with about a dozen found today. There will soon be plenty more I'm sure. Surprisingly there were still not any Indigo Buntings at all.

Although birds of mature forests there take a back seat, most large tracts seemed to have Cerulean and Worm-eating Warblers and Scarlet Tanagers. Red-eyed Vireos are now about as common as Yellow-throateds are, and Wood Thrush numbers have increased too. American Redstarts were mostly found along streams and aren't as widespread (yet?) as they can be at other forests. I saw my first Great Crested Flycatcher of the season there today also. More mature forests can be found along SR 160 and the area south of there, but traffic is really to heavy along SR 160 for comfortable birding and there aren't any access points that I know of into that tract (which is designated State Wildlife Area land).

Even though the road is short, it is still worthwhile to take the Stone Quarry Road into the northern part of Vinton Furnace. The valley of the Raccoon Creek there is wide and there is a lot of good habitat there. Although I didn't make it there until after lunch, there were still a few KY Warblers singing in what looked like ideal habitat for them.

Migrants in general were few and far between, mostly Yellow-rumped and B-t Green Warblers, but a Nashville was also noted bringing the tally for the day of 19 warbler species in the forest. I heard several Baltimore Orioles in places where I doubt they nest, but they could have been on territory.

On the drive in this morning along Sam Russell Road, Henslow's Sparrows could be heard in some of the fields with broomsedge (all private property).

While poking around in one clear cut I flushed an American Woodcock off its nest containing 4 brown speckled eggs. I almost stepped on it before it moved. I didn't see it at all. It was only a couple of feet from an established hunter's path and didn't seem well concealed at all, but when I went back this evening to make sure it returned I had to stand almost on top of it to even see the well camouflaged bird.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com