From:
Mark Prinster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Prinster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2014 12:18:31 -0400
I was walking along the Marie Delarme Creek in Forrest Woods Nature Preserve
in Paulding County last weekend when I had a very unique birding experience.
It started with a panicked chatter coming from across the creek.  As I looked
for the sound I observed a Coopers Hawk flying right at me with a hapless but
still very much alive Fox Squirrel dangling from its talons.  As the hawk
approached the creek it banked to my right and settled about 40 yards away
with the squirrel in about 4 inches of water at the edge of the creek.  After
3 – 4 minutes the hawk took off with the fresh kill in tow.  I recall reading
on this listserve a thread about how certain birds of prey will subdue their
quarry by drowning.   I witnessed this phenomenon first hand.  Thanks to the
listserve for the continuing education.