From:
Melanie Shuter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melanie Shuter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2014 23:03:00 -0400
I birded Calamus Swamp on S. R. 104 just south of Route 22 west of
Circleville this morning.  In the wetlands, there were Rusty Blackbirds,
Red-winged Blackbirds, a pair of Mallards, 2 pair of Wood Ducks, 2 American
Wigeons, and 2 CAGO.  Field off of parking lot held a Brown Thrasher.  I'm
just waiting to hear my first Sora of the year.

Birded Stage's Pond State Nature Preserve in the afternoon.  It is off of
Route 23 south of South Bloomfield on Hagerty Road.  In the parking lot -
Eastern Phoebe. Brown Thrasher, Field Sparrow.  Small pond held Bufflehead,
40 Gadwall, Lesser Scaup, Blue-winged Teal, Black Duck, American Coot,
Mallard, Pied-billed Grebe, Northern Shoveler.  In the woods - Eastern
Towhee, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Downy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker,
Carolina Chickadee.  In the wet meadow between ponds - Red-winged
Blackbirds, Brown-headed Cowbirds, Song Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow.  Big pond -
8 RED-NECKED GREBES, Great Blue Heron, Ruddy Ducks, Scaup species,
Ring-necked Ducks, 6 Double-crested Cormorants.  The chorus frogs were
singing and the turtles were out.  A scope would be helpful on the big
pond.  Unfortunately, you have to carry it a long way.

Melanie Shuter
Circleville