From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2014 08:17:56 -0400
Laura & Tim, all interested birders:

The Ironton District on the Wayne is rich in bird life and far less visited
by birders than nearby Shawnee State Forest. Species like Black-billed
Cuckoo and Summer Tanager and the array of southern warblers are more easily
found there. Cerulean Warbler hotspots are scattered throughout the area.
Ample road-birding along low traffic rural and forest roads will reward
blind exploration of the area (purchase a forest map and take along a
Delorme Atlas). There are access points to trails scattered throughout the
area. These offer short or long walks (some trails can be rough and hilly).
Like many rural areas, parking can be problematic, some pull-offs are muddy,
etc. Pine Creek Road (west from R93) is hardtop and traverses varied
habitats supporting bird diversity. Excellent services are available at
managed locations like Vesuvius Furnace. On your way there, be sure to
travel south on R93 through Olive Furnace, check out the stone arch iron
furnace remnant west of 93 as you drive by. The area is rich in history as
it is rich in biodiversity. Check out the FS website for lots of information
and check-in with friendly FS staff for more detailed information (office
located in Pedro). Go explore!

On the way south, stop in at Cooper Hollow Wildlife Area and Pyro Wetlands
(both eBird Hotspots), and drive through open areas of nearby reclaimed
strip mines to add a lot of grasslands diversity to your list, south of
Jackson, OH, east of R93. From there, west of 93, a long convoluted drive
(Clay Banner Road) will take you to Baker Swamp, a TNC Preserve, and nearby
hayfields and shrub rows that used to be reliable places of Northern
Bobwhite.

Tom Bain
Ohio's Clayey Till Plain
Delaware County
Lots of optics time,
Lawrence County, Gateway to historical Hanging Rock Iron Region