From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2014 21:09:30 -0400
Hi: We just returned from a month in Florida and I followed all the Ohio
sightings of red-necked grebes on this website. This afternoon, I went to
several areas in Wayne Co. to see waterfowl. The large pond next to
Cemetery Road, off hwy 226 NE of Shreve, was packed with waterfowl. As I
scanned through thousands of ducks with my scope, I found a beautiful
red-necked grebe in full breeding plumage near the center of the pond.That
helped a lot for all I had missed here in March. In addition to that, there
were also horned and pied-billed grebes and the following ducks: black,
mallard, gadwall, green-winged teal, shoveler, redhead, ring-neck, ruddy,
canvasback, lesser scaup, and bufflehead. Of course, numbers varied, with
ring-necks being most numerous and some species with only a few
individuals.

I also stopped at Shreve Lake and found two loons, a male and three female
red-breasted mergansers, pied-billed and horned grebes, lots of cormorants,
and ruddy ducks, lesser scaup and buffleheads. Earlier in the afternoon, I
was at Funk and Wilderness Rd and saw some of the same ducks, though
numbers were higher near Shreve. I did see some pintails far to the NE from
the Funk Bottoms observation tower and some blue-winged teal along Rt 95
there.

Randy Rowe, Wooster