From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2014 23:37:22 -0400
I took a drive around parts of the Zaleski SF this morning (April 9). As expected Pine Warblers and Lousiana Waterthrushes were widespread singing in most likely areas. Yellow-throated and Black-and-white Warblers were still few and far between, but I found a few of each. Since a Yellow-throated Warbler has been singing in my backyard in Columbus for a few days now I expected them to be more numerous down there. Eastern Towhees and the usual Carolina Chickadees and Tufted Titmouse were all very vocal throughout the morning. Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were also widespread and Field Sparrows were also present in most suitable habitat. Yellow-rumped Warblers were singing in the Will Tract where they are numerous throughout the winter.

At mid-day I checked out nearby Vinton Furnace forest since I had never been there. It was very quiet, although I did find another B&W Warbler there. Vinton Furnace is a large newly acquired tract of land for the ODNR consisting mainly of fairly recent clear cuts. It should be loaded with Prairie Warblers and chats very soon.

Back at Zaleski in the afternoon was very quiet, windy, and chilly with mainly overcast. I didn't see or hear another warbler all afternoon, and the only additional bird seen was a fairly early (by a few days) Wood Thrush. If I had the day to do over I would have gone all the way down to Shawnee where I likely would have found more, but it was a nice start to spring birding in the forest in any case.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com