From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2014 18:56:02 -0400
Today, Wednesday, we birded Pipe Creek State Wildlife Area, Site #49 on the Ohio Lake Erie Birding Trail, from 9:30AM to 2PM. It did not disappoint! We recorded 94 species of birds. 17 of them warblers. Our two top highlights; were a beautiful male Golden-winged Warbler opposite the first huge bench on the right, and a cooperative Least Bittern we shared 35 minutes with. Amazingly, even with the fiftyish degree temperature, we found three very large Lake Erie Water Snakes and one oversized Garter Snake. Some of the other birds of interest were 2 Willets, 2 pair of Greater Scaup, a single Semipalmated Sandpiper, an adult Black-crowned Night-Heron, numerous Soras, numerous Marsh Wrens, 6 Bonaparte's Gulls, a male Orchard Oriole, a Bay-breasted Warbler, a Cape May Warbler, a Blue-winged Warbler, an American Redstart, and a Northern Parula Warbler. A visit to Pipe Creek is always interesting, with the roller coasters at Cedar Point as a visual backdrop. To access Pipe Creek off of US6 on the east side of Sandusky, turn north onto Cedar Point Drive, follow it to the McDonald's on the right, turn here and go on past to the parking lot at the end of the street. Keep an eye out for Ohio's first documented Neotropic Cormorant, which has been being seen recently on occasion, in the estuary near McDonald's and T.G.I.Friday's.

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County