From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2014 15:09:24 -0700
This morning I had the
fun and pleasure to host Saundra McBrearty  and a group of the dedicated
volunteers from the Delaware Preservation Parks at the Hoover Nature Preserve.
Initially I thought it was going to be a very slow day as the weather was
overcast and there were fishermen everywhere including very near the nest
boxes. However, someone must have been looking out for us as in spite of the
fishermen we were able to view multiple Prothonotaries at Area N. Everyone got
to see one pair bringing material to their nest box and the bonus round was the
natural cavity we located. The pair at this site were busy with their nest
building as they brought material and went in and out of the nest cavity often.
The nests were each at a different stage as one pair was still bringing
moss to their site while the other pair were in the finishing stage and
the female was bringing rootlets to form the cup at the nest top. The natural
cavity nest was in an old Downy Woodpecker hole. Additional species at Area N
included Osprey, Baltimore Orioles, Red-headed Woodpeckers, Warbling Vireos and
tree Swallows.

I then took the Group to
Old Sunbury Road where the highlight was viewing the Bald Eagle nest. One adult
was on the nest and the mate was perched on a dead tree branch slightly up the
shore from the group. While we watched the eagles a few Prothonotary Warblers
flitted around us wanting their share of the attention. Other warblers in the
immediate area included Yellow-rumped, Black-and-White, Magnolia, Yellow and
Nashville. A lone Swainson's Thrush was working a brush pile and many Baltimore
Orioles were in the trees and shrubbery. Indigo Buntings sang for us and a very
bright Scarlet Tanager posed to show off his brilliant colors.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve