From:
Heather Aubke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Aubke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2014 09:30:58 -0400
Greetings!  This weekend I have had a Blackpoll Warbler and Tennessee
Warbler singing in my woods in rural western Athens County.  Actually, I
heard Tennessee Warblers in multiple locations this weekend, including the
Waterloo Research Station on Saturday morning.

As for migrants that are hopefully here to stay for the season (as opposed
to just passing through), I finally heard Grasshopper Sparrows and Prairie
Warblers in open field field areas along Baker Rd yesterday (again, western
Athens Co.).

I know we're all excited about migration, but it's not too early to start
talk about breeding activity!  We have Northern Cardinal, Carolina
Chickadee and Eastern Phoebe all feeding broods already on our property,
and I noticed this weekend that a pair of Robins has just started building
a nest in one of our trees.  I also noticed a pair of Great-crested
Flycatchers spending time in the lower levels of our woods (as opposed to
the tree tops where you normally find them), and I have a hunch they were
looking for a place to start their family.  I hope they find a suitable
cavity to call home for a while.  That would be a new nesting species on
our property (at least to my knowledge!).  While birding at Waterloo on
Saturday morning, we had the luck to spy a female Baltimore Oriole building
a nest in a Sycamore tree across the road from the research station.  Very
exciting!

Good birding!

Heather Aubke
Albany (Athens Co.)

--

Come visit me in the hills at Heather of the
Hills<http://heather-heatherofthehills.blogspot.com/>