From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2014 16:21:41 -0400
I just noticed that Milton Trautman's unfinished last work on Ohio
birds, the completion of which was interrupted by his death in 1991, is
now on the open market. See
http://www.amazon.com/Birds-Western-Lake-Milton-Trautman/dp/0976854716 .
His friend Ronald Stuckey oversaw the species accounts and editing of
accounts for about half the state's birds as Trautman lay in his
deathbed. I highly recommend that Ohio birders, especially those from
the western Lake Erie region, have a copy. Trautman's magisterial work
of 1940, "The Birds of Buckeye Lake, Ohio," is available free online at
http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/56289/MP044.pdf?sequence=1
, and there is no excuse for a student of Ohio's birds to remain
ignorant of it. Clear thinking, field verification, historical
perspectives, quantitative data, even the occasional twinkle of humor,
enliven this classic work. Serious birders should have both of them.
Bill Whan
Columbus