From:
Steve Landes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Landes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2014 22:10:33 -0400
Hi all,
   Sorry for the late original post of this bird (this morning) and
additional details, but it was found near the end of a Big Day (I've been
sleeping most of today). Anyway, Bill Heck, Tom Sheley and I saw an adult
at around dusk on Monday from the west-most parking lot on the western
impoundment on LaRue-Prospect Road. It was well observed through our
scopes. Distinctive red bill with blue shield, glossy purple body with
green wings, and long bright yellow legs with large yellow toes. No white
under wing like Common Gallinule. Bird was loosely associated with Common
Gallinules and coots, but was climbing on the vegetation (sometimes ~6
inches above the water) rather than swimming like coots and commons. Lack
of decent digiscoping camera, low light, and distance prevented obtaining
any useable photographs (not even outline obtainable with Iphone-scope).
All three observers have extensive experience with this species.

It is of note that two Purple Gallinules have been reported in Pennsylvania
and Michigan in the past few days. I am aware of two people that tried
unsuccessfully to relocate this bird today, but there are lots of places to
hide so it may still be around.

Documentation will be submitted to OBRC. Ebird link below:

Thanks,
Steve Landes
(trying out a different email address in an attempt to get the listserv to
function correctly again)
Columbus