From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2014 20:48:40 -0400
I hiked around this MetroPark SW of Columbus looking for migrant landbirds, since I didn't have any boots to wade the wetlands.  In 3 hours, I visited the Trail of the Ancients, Terrace Trail, Indian Ridge prairie, and Cedar Ridge, and all had decent numbers of migrants, though the day was far from a fallout.  Included among the list were

Red-shouldered hawk - a juvenile was circling over the Indian Ridge picnic area
Ruby-thr.Hummingbirds - singles were at Terrace Trail and Cedar Ridge
Cuckoos - not a one, which means the residents haven't arrived since this is a very reliable area for them.
Flycatchers - fair #s of Pewees, Acadians, & Great Crested.  My FOS Willow Flycatcher was at the Indian Ridge prairie.
Vireos - singing Yellow-throated at all stops, but they were greatly outnumbered by Red-eyed.  More unusual were White-eyed calling at Indian Ridge Prairie & Cedar Ridge, and a Philadelphia singing along the creek on the Terrace Trail

Thrushes - Swainson's Thrushes in small #s (3-4) at nearly every stop.  5 singing Wood Thrushes were along the Terrace Trail, which also had 1 Gray-cheeked.

YellowWarblers - singles at Indian Ridge and Cedar Ridge
Parula Warblers - 3 were asinging along the Terrace Trail, and a female was building a nest along the link trail to the Trail of Ancients.
Magnolia Warblers - 4 were along the Trail of Ancients, while another 4 were along the Terrace Trail
Chesnut-sided - Trail of Ancients had 4, while Terrace Trail had 3, and Cedar Ridge 2.
Black-thr.Green - 1 was still singing along the Terrace Trail
Yellow-throated - 1 was singing along the creek on the Terrace Tr., but 4 were singing around Cedar Ridge.
Yellow-rumped - 3 were along the Trail of the Ancients
Blackburnian - singles were at Trail of Ancients and the Terrace Trail
Blackpoll - singles were singing at Terrace Trail and Cedar Ridge
AmRedstart - most common warbler by far, with 30+ in 3 hours
Ovenbirds - 3 were singing along the Terrace Trail, raising hopes that they will colonize this large forest block
LouisianaWaterthrush - 1 bird was singing along Darby Creek at Cedar Ridge, a past nesting area
Kentucky Warblers - 3 were singing along the Terrace Trail, where they have colonized in the past 5 years
Mourning Warbler - 1 bird was singing around the Indian Ridge picnic area parking lot
ComYellowthroat - very common in meadow areas, with the high of 8+ singing along the Trail of Ancients
Yellow-br.Chat - one bird could be heard calling in the meadow across from the Cedar Ridge overlook

Scarlet Tanagers - good numbers, with 2 at Trail of Ancients, 4 at Terrace Trail, and another 2 at Cedar Ridge
Rose-br.Grosbeaks - 2 were singing along Trail of Ancients, while another 2 were along the Terrace Trail
Indigo Buntings - common along most woodland edges, with 40+ over the course of the morning.
White-throated Sparrows - 3 late birds were around the field edge at Cedar Ridge