From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2014 22:17:46 -0400
I just wanted to apologize.  I had read Haans's message originally on my phone and misread it.  My apologies.
If you are planning to bird the Bluffs here are some suggestions.  The Clark Road parking lot has a gravel trail.  It is good for birding and is pretty level and is typically dry.  There are some nice views of the lake.  It is a good spot to view migrating birds both on land and on the lake.  The area south of Clark Road is undeveloped.  We brush hogged  trails that had been there.  It is definitely wet and only for the more adventurous at this time.  There has been some good breeding birds in there and migrants.  Later this year there will be a 50 foot observation tower built along the lake.
The parking lot at Lane Road has a short gravel trail and a real nice observation deck to watch the lake.  This trail and the Clark road trail give access to the beach.
The large brushy area west of Lane Road is definitely worth walking.  You will find chats, thrashers, and dozens of yellow warblers and catbirds among all the other field birds.  This are is great for watching hawks and songbirds flying overhead.  The volume of birds on a good day can be overwhelming.  On a good migration day, all kinds of birds will drop in this area.   This area has just been brush hogged and can be wet in spots right now, wear boots.  Later this year it will be improved.
The woods west of Lane Road are wet and can be excellent for thrushes and warblers.  It has no trails at this time.  There is a north south trail running between the two wooded areas west of Lane Road.  It does have wet areas, but it can be excellent for migrants.
Right now the Lane Road parking lot is best for lake watching.  Once the tower is built it should be pretty interesting for lake watching.  Both areas are already on bluffs so you can look down on birds flying over the lake.
The great thing about the property is the variety of habitats; wet and dry woods, wet and dry fields, and a few small wetlands, and of course Lake Erie.  It offers another great birding alternative for those birding east of Cleveland.  There has already been some great birds there and I'm sure there will be many more.

John Pogacnik