From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2014 23:26:35 -0400
As improbable and outlandish as it may seem; yesterday late afternoon, Sunday May 18th, about 4:30PM, what I believe to have been a Hudsonian Godwit in non-breeding plumage, was flying high overhead in the clouds. Myself, my wife Denise, and about eight other birders, were at Stop #6 on The Ottawa Auto Tour observing the Eared Grebe and a male Yellow-headed Blackbird across the way in impoundment MS3, in Lucas County, just north of the Ottawa County line. One of the other birders noticed a bird high overhead in the clouds, and made a comment about the unusual shape and long pointy wings. I first looked with the binoculars, then for a short period of time, I was able to get my scope on it, seeing a long slender bill, along with black underwing-coverts and axillaries. All the others saw what I saw. We were able to observe the bird flying somewhat northwesterly for maybe about two minutes, before it went out of sight turning to the north in the direction of Metzger Marsh. At the time I jokingly said to the others, looks like a Hudsonian Godwit in non-breeding plumage. Upon our departure from the Auto Drive, Denise and I went to Metzger Marsh in hopes the bird may have come down, not to be. After my arrival back home in Mahoning County this evening, Monday, I went thru every shorebird reference book I have. The conclusion, Hudsonian Godwit. With no photos for documentation, my only hope is that it shows up someplace else! I am aware Spring records in Ohio are almost non-existent.

Bob Lane