From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2014 11:27:06 -0700
This morning I visited Areas M & N to see their status after the most recent rains. I have a group visiting over the weekend to see the Prothonotary Warblers and as of Wednesday the Big Walnut Creek resembled Pensacola, Florida. The water was high, fast and full of sediment. Not a  great condition for man nor beast. The water is coming down but it had flooded areas that usually stay dry. The old road in Area M had been underwater. Hopefully the water level will come down in time for my guests.

On to the good things in life, birds. The Prothonotary Warbler males have been back since April 20th and today I observed my first females of the season. All told I observed 13 Prothonotary Warblers along the bank of Big Walnut Creek. More were present and singing, however, I only walked to the point where I felt I could safely take my guests. Other warblers observed include Nashville, Northern Parula (one pair busy copulating), Yellow (surprised to find back here), Cape May, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Green, Yellow-throated, Pine, Palm and Louisiana Waterthrush.

Waterfowl were limited to Canada Geese, Mallard and Wood Duck. One pair of wood ducks were 35 feet up on the branch of a dead tree which sported a large cavity nearby.

The Osprey pairs were at both nest platforms off the boardwalk in Area M, however, since the boardwalk is closed pending repairs of damage done by the winter ice, viewing is best from the old road in Area M off of Front Street in Galena. An immature Bald eagle did a flyover. It is not one of the nesting adults at Hoover Reservoir.

Immature Double-crested Cormorants were in high numbers. The breeding adults have headed north to breed if not cornered by their human critics.

A FOY Spotted Sandpiper was looking for a landing place along Big Walnut Creek. With the fast water it is going to need lots of luck.

Six species of woodpecker were seen, all but sapsuckers, including 8 Red-headed Woodpeckers.

Flycatchers were limited to Acadian and Eastern Phoebes.

Vireos included many Warbling and increasing numbers of Red-eyed.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet numbers are down but this is more than over compensated by the multitude of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers. The latter are everywhere and if I phished to try to call anything in I was immediately surrounded by a hoard of the personable little guys. These curious balls of energy come right up to you to see what's up. They are always one of my favorites when I'm walking in the preserve. It's like walking with friends.

Of course there has to be a down side. The House Wrens are back and will be a major competitor for the nest boxes meant for the Prothonotary Warblers.

Baltimore Orioles are back at the preserve in their brilliant orange and black formal wear.

Spring is a time for rejuvenation, both for the birds and the birders. Get out and enjoy.

And before I forget, a big thanks to the individuals that turned out at the recent clean up day and helped remove many, many bags of trash.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve