From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2014 06:33:05 -0400
I biked & hiked through this greenbelt in east Columbus yesterday afternoon and found several late-stage migrants. I hiked around Mock Park, then biked up the trail to Innis Park on a beautiful afternoon.  Lots of singing & calling, but few migrants, especially warblers.  Included among the treats were

Wild Turkeys - 3 roaming in the forest at Mock.  This is as close to downtown as they've come, but the presence of a feral PitBull there might change that.

Barred Owl - one was calling in the ravine near Rosemont, possibly one of the Mock Ravine residents off foraging

Black-billed cuckoo - a bold individual was foraging along the bikepath near the old Bridgeview Driving Range

Olive-sided Flycatcher - one was -where else- sitting on a snag in the creek near the driving range

Empidonax - Acadian were on territory in Mock Ravine, and Willows were also on territory along the bikepath, but the bonus was a calling Yellow-bellied in the Mock Ravine

Vireos - 4-5 Warbling, which are resident along the bikepath, plus lots of Red-eyed Vireos, which may be displaced from ravaged ash-dominated blocks in other parts of the city.

Thrushes - still migrating Swainson's, with 4-5 in the forest at Mock and another 3 in the riparian at Alum Creek Park

Warblers - very little other than resident Yellows, Parula, and yellow-throated.  A few Redstarts were still in some of the forest areas, and I had Common Yellowthroats in 2 of the meadows along the bikepath

Orioles - plenty (5-6) of Baltimores along the creek riparian, but also had 1 singing Orchard in the meadow just below Innis Park.  This stretch of the bikepath is a very reliable urban location to find this species in Columbus.