From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2014 22:46:49 -0400
Well, it took almost an extra month it seems like, but a pair of
Prothonotary Warblers were making their appearance. Data on eBird suggests
that it is only about a week or so later than it is usually reported, so I
guess everything is good. :-D  Male singing, female looking for food.

No Connecticut though (Yes, I am expecting one to arrive :-D ) the
boardwalk was pretty busy, so any skulkers were probably hiding deeper in
the woods....guess I'll give it another day. :-D

Big Island's elusive Purple Gallinule remained so with 5 birders
dipping...ah well...maybe tomorrow. :-D  But Virginia Rails are starting to
make appearances.  Ron Sempier  was able to get a photo, but I was only
able to hear it doing it's "cackling".  Big bird for me, was also my last
bird of the day.  It was a visual and quick silhouetted picture on what I
only heard yesterday.  I heard a Sandhill Crane calling, quickly confirmed
with another birder, and RAN to my car to get my camera BACK out.  Just as
it cleared the trees and started heading NE over towards SR 95.  YES!
Reallllly Ugly picture here:

http://www.sjlarue.com/p528330678/hA74CF0F#ha74cf0f

AND

My wife had a Red-eyed Vireo in our side yard grabbing some bugs.
:-D...What a day.

Have a great Memorial Day...remember those in harms way..., Happy Birding,
and God Bless!

Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve, Hardin, US-OH
May 25, 2014 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.3
53 species

Canada Goose  4
Wood Duck  2
Ring-necked Pheasant  1
Turkey Vulture  4
Mourning Dove  6
Barred Owl  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  2
American Kestrel  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Acadian Flycatcher  6
Willow Flycatcher  2
Eastern Phoebe  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  4
Eastern Kingbird  1
Warbling Vireo  4
Red-eyed Vireo  6
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  2
Horned Lark  2
Tree Swallow  8
Barn Swallow  8
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
House Wren  4
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
American Robin  4
Gray Catbird  2
Northern Mockingbird  1
European Starling  2
Ovenbird  1
Prothonotary Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  2
Yellow Warbler  2
Eastern Towhee  2
Chipping Sparrow  2
Field Sparrow  9
Grasshopper Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  4
Scarlet Tanager  3
Northern Cardinal  4
Bobolink  2
Red-winged Blackbird  20
Eastern Meadowlark  2
Common Grackle  4
Brown-headed Cowbird  8
American Goldfinch  4

View this checklist online at

Big Island Wildlife Area--Larue-Prospect Rd. north (Unit B), Marion, US-OH
May 25, 2014 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
47 species

Canada Goose  20
Wood Duck  4
Mallard  8
Blue-winged Teal  2
Pied-billed Grebe  3
Great Blue Heron  10
Great Egret  1
Turkey Vulture  4
Cooper's Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  2
Virginia Rail  1 Heard, but seen by others earlier in the day.
Sora  1
Common Gallinule  10
American Coot  10
Sandhill Crane  1     Heard calling and was able to get a visual, and grab
a quick shot.  I have heard calling for last two days...first time seen.
(picture on eBird)
Killdeer  2
Mourning Dove  4
Great Horned Owl  1