From:
Doreene Linzell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doreene Linzell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2014 07:58:04 -0400
This morning we first heard and then saw, briefly, a Connecticut Warbler. Blendon Woods is one of the Metro Parks in Central Ohio. We arrived at the park about 6:15 and had to wait for the gate to open. We drove slowly through the woods (watching the turkeys scuttle off the road) and parked by the nature center. We first walked around the small triangle of woods in front of the nature center. We then left the parking lot on the Hickory Ridge trail (which is not signposted at this point). This trail kind of parallels the road to the nature center. Any way, we had not walked very far before we heard the COWA singing on the left hand side. I put an 18 inch thickish stick on the path where we first heard the bird. We walked on a bit further and then it sounded like another one on the right (between us and the road). In reality there was only one bird as Dan actually saw it fly back to the left side of the trail. We then came to the Brookside Trail and we turned left. Shortly after that Dan actually got to see the bird for a brief look, but enough of a look for a visual confirmation of what we had been hearing. I put a four foot scrawny branch on the path where the bird was seen on the left. The bird sang between 6:45 and 7:05.

Doreene Linzell
Dan Sanders