From:
Robert Stalnaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Stalnaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2014 06:17:58 -0700
Data from the Breeding Bird Survey show a hi
Hello Laura and everyone,

Data from the Breeding Bird Survey show a high number of species are declining.  We all know the list of causes such as pollution, mining and resource industries, climate change, agriculture, etc. but human popualtion growth is the root cause of all these other casues.  Re your question of warming trends as the cause for that grosbeak, I don't know if there is science out there to confirm that for your region, but again, human population growth is the primary cause of the decline of numbers and the extinction of species and certainly is the cause of the warming trend you referred to.

When I first started birding in my 20s, I heard "old-timers" tell me tremendous tales of massive numbers of birds they used to see.  They also lamented the loss of their favorite birding sites that are now housing areas or roadways.  Now that I am an "old-timer" and I am out birding with a group including some younger birders, I tell them my tales of higher numbers we used to see or of species that we did not see today but we used to see often, and I point out nearby plazas and housing and roadways that used to be my favorite birding spots.  Each generation of birders will keep doing that until the only thing left to see are crows.  Governments refuse to do anything to stem human population growth.

For those interested, here is a link to a State of the Birds Report:

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/State_of_the_Birds_2009.pdf

North American Bird Conservation Initiative, U.S. Committee, 2009. The State of the Birds, United States
of America, 2009. U.S. Department of Interior: Washington, DC. 36 pages.

The latest report I saw was a 2013 produced by Cornell and the USFWS but it focuses on private lands and seems to be less science and more about projects that have been initiated with private land owners to help conserve habitat.

Bob Stalnaker

Longwood, FL