From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2014 11:05:53 -0400
Hi,

The USGS report is interesting.  Of the eastern forest species listed as
being in trouble the only ones found in Cleveland area mature forests are
Wood Thrush, Eastern Wood Pewee, and Cerulean Warbler.  The decline of the
Cerulean Warbler being directly linked to mountain top removal mining of
coal in the report.

Further reading on the Wood Thrush shows this species decline in in
specific geographies where acid rain is most concentrated:

"The study found that increases in the acidity of rain were accompanied by
strong and statistically-significant decreases in the probability of
breeding by the Wood Thrush at a given site"

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/Birdscope/Autumn2002/wood_thrush.html

These locations do not include NE Ohio as it the coal fired power plants in
our region which cause the acid rain farther east.  It is also unclear if
the stated 1.7% per year decline observed between 1966 and 1999 is
aggregate or if it is specific to the locations most effected.

What is however clear is the direct link between burning coal and decline
of bird species in our eastern forests.

Haans

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Robert Stalnaker <[log in to unmask]