From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2014 17:46:48 -0700
It's easy to see thousands of Ruddy Ducks each year in Ohio, but only a handful breed in the state.  I came upon an individual behaving rather oddly today
Lorain Impoundment, and immediately sensed that there may be a nest or
young nearby.  Sure enough, out of the reeds swam two rather large
young, following by another adult performing the same funky distraction
display.  This is my first confirmation of breeding for the
impoundment.  There are still a number of other lingering ducks here -
Blue-winged Teal, Green-winged Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck (2),
Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup (5), and Red-breasted Merganser.

Also, a correction to the directions for the Golden-winged Warbler - the pull-off is actually on the right side of the road. It was still present yesterday, per Robert Hikada.