From:
Heather Aubke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Aubke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2014 22:07:36 -0400
This afternoon I attempted to locate the Golden-winged Warbler that Gabe
Leidy spotted this weekend in a clear-cut off of Long Ridge Rd in Zaleski
State Forest in Vinton County.  Unfortunately, I came up empty-handed.  I
hope the time of day was to blame - it was about 2:00 by the time I was
able to get there, and very hot and sunny, so I assume a lot of birds were
quiet.  Not the Prairie Warblers though!  Wow, I've never heard such a
concentration of Praire Warblers before, nor of Yellow-breasted Chats.  I
did see a Red-headed Woodpecker in the last dead snag on the right at the
far end of the clear-cut, just before you would head back into the woods.
I also saw (and heard) Blue-winged Warbler, Field Sparrow (on a nest in a
shrub very close to the main trail), Eastern Towhee, and Common
Yellowthroat (which I suspect also had a nest near the trail).  Indigo
Buntings could be heard sporadically, and I heard a pair of counter-singing
Hooded Warblers at the trailhead as I was leaving.

Incidentally, this clear-cut would be a great place to compare and contrast
the songs of Prairie Warbler vs Field Sparrow for those who might confuse
the two.  Both were singing with great frequency.  I was disappointed,
however, to have so many Prairie Warblers singing around me but not
actually see a single one of them!

I also checked out the other clear-cut that Gabe mentioned (on Irish Ridge
Rd), and it held many of the same species as the first.  Here, however, I
was actually able to see some of the singing Chats (I heard many of them at
Long Ridge, but saw none of them), and also had good looks at a male
Blue-winged Warbler.  A few species that stood out at this clear-cut that I
did not see or hear at the Long Ridge clear-cut were Carolina Chickadee and
Eastern Bluebird.

A word of caution to any who might be accessing this area via King Hollow
from Athens County - I came across some downed trees this afternoon which
completely blocked the road about 1/2 mile past the Vinton/Athens county
line, on the Vinton Co. side (or 1/2 mile past the main sign announcing
entrance into the Wild Turkey Management Area, where Rock Camp Rd turns
into King Hollow).  When I reported the downed trees to the Zaleski forest
headquarters, they said they were aware of the road block and were hoping
to get someone out there today - that was at about 3:00.

If anyone else manages to spot this bird again, please report back!

Good birding,
Heather Aubke
Albany, OH

--

Come visit me in the hills at Heather of the
Hills<http://heather-heatherofthehills.blogspot.com/>