From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2014 16:23:53 -0400
I hope folks are keeping track of sandhill crane nestings in the state,
which are obviously increasing; I think it would be useful to keep Ohio
Cardinal editor Craig Caldwell advised. I just heard from Troy Shively
that he'd seen young with adults at Indian Lake SP this afternoon. The
Franklin Co Metro Parks have had two active nest sites recently, with
none known before. Quite possibly all these sites were crane nesting
areas many years ago, and the ones that remain relatively undisturbed
are hosting them again. I like to think there is some racial memory
among the tribe that leads them to return to these spots, but maybe not.
Look at the pathetic one county (Huron) in Peterjohn's "The Birds of
Ohio" (2001, pg 161) and compare with the ones found in the latest
Breeding Bird Atlas (
http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main?cmd=stateSummary&theme=species&edition=current&species=sancra&species=Go
) to get an idea of what's been happening.  That OBBA atlas map is out
of date already.
Bill Whan
Columbus