From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2014 03:04:11 -0400
I have been Skype-phoning my wife Jane regularly from off the southeast
edge of the continent, and May 2 heard wood thrush singing as she walked
our forest trail, Hopewell Township, Muskingum County, a vicarious taste of
what I am missing.

The remainder of this message contains observations and thoughts about
species that occur in Ohio, but that are a long way from home, and frankly
the individuals are likely doomed. If this upsets, I apologize. Such is the
harsh reality of migration.

Currently, the research vessel on which I am working is holding station at
a location roughly 31.5 degrees north, 77 degrees west, in other words
around 160 nautical miles off the Carolina coast, within the EEZ and within
the “official” boundaries of North American birding. I’m expecting some
pelagics at some point, but so far most of the birding experience of the
past week has involved storm-blown migrants, brought eastward by the recent
strong front that blew across the south.

May 2 and 3 have brought the following:

Among wood warblers: American redstart (2 females), common yellowthroat,
Cape May (found deceased), northern parula, ovenbird.

In addition, we had a bedraggled bobolink today (5-3) hopping around the
deck during an ROV launch, and two barn swallows this evening, flying
around the ship. There was also a tern flying about, probably a common.

Last night, overnight, an osprey perched on the upper knuckle of the main
crane.

From my perspective, the osprey, barn swallows, and tern looked fine, the
others not so much. Rains have brought plenty of fresh water to various
artificial "pock-marks," but warblers are looking to glean food from barren
machinery and dirty, sometimes oily lines (ropes) where I am sure they are
not finding much if anything. There are not many bugs out here at all, nice
for me and the forty men with whom I share this nautical home, but not
great for any birds needing protein nourishment.

I have seen many birds offshore previously in autumn migration, but this is
the first time I have been here during late April – early May. It is a
harsh reminder that migration is a wonderful phenomenon for the species,
but often a futile and terminal experience for some individuals. It happens
year after year, and the species stay strong.

Wishing you enjoyment of these species in the green fields and fertile
forests of home.

My very best,

Bob Evans

Geologist, etc.

Hopewell, OH (currently well offshore of the Carolina coast)

PS: By the way, Bill, I saw a tropicbird in Bermuda, but none so far that I
count as North American.