From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2014 17:40:39 -0700
I was at Villa Angela/Wildwood Parks (part of Euclid Creek Reservation) on Lakeshore Blvd & E. 174th St on the east side of Cleveland Sat & Sunday.  While not real warblerly and not a lot of new birds I think the most interesting sightings were the three Great Egrets in the Wildwood wetlands that have returned.  There had been up to five around 4/9 and at least two or three stayed a couple weeks but hadn't been seen for a few wks.  Apparently, they returned the end of the week spending most of the time in the new wetland and sometimes along Euclid Creek.  They are often seen during migration but not for this long.  Here are a few of my highlights:

Sat 5/3 (very windy and sometimes rainy)
Great Egrets 3
Blue-winged Teal 3
Peregrine Falcon 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers 5
Ruby-crowned Kinglets 7
Empid Flycatchers 1
House Wren 1
Caspian Tern 1 VA beach
Hooded Warbler 1 (male west of grassy knoll) Mark Anderson saw it on 4/30, Jeanne Hrenko saw it later after I left.
Yellow Warblers 4-5
Green Herons 3
Swamp Sparrow 1
Blue-headed Vireo 1 (seen in the rain along fenceline of field/library)
Baltimore Orioles, Gray Catbirds, Carolina Wren, White-throated Sparrows (few), Black-crowned Night-Herons 2, Empid Flycatcher 1,  Brown Thrashers,

Sun 5/4
Was here from 8:30am til after 2pm (was very cold this morning)
Great Egrets - at least 3
Caspian Tern 1 on beach
Green Herons 3
Bald Eagle 1 adult flew thru wetland south along creek
Spotted Sandpipers 2-3
Solitary Sandpiper 1 (seems to come each year during both migrations)
Hooded Mergansers 2 females in front of VA
Chimney Swifts ~ 6 (near entrance to park)
Brown Thrasher 2, Eastern Towhee 1 f,
Ruby-crowned Kinglets ~ 11
Brown Creeper 2
American Tree Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrows ~ 20
Swamp Sparrow 1
Nashville Warblers 5
Black-throated Green Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warblers 2
Yellow Warblers 7
Northern Waterthrush 1 heard only (singing from the east side of Euclid Creek down from the condos that are opposite the large oasis of trees near the large gravel bar in the creek)
Warbling Vireos  ~ 6
Blue-headed Vireo 1 (near entrance to field high in various trees)
Brown Thrashers, Eastern Towhee, Hermit Thrush 1, few Gnatcatchers, BC Night-Herons 2

Fish Crow 1

Also, for the past year I have heard crows calling that sound like they have laryngitis in different places but today while I was walking in Wildwood near the bridge over Euclid Creek I heard a really obvious different crow call.  It flew to Villa Angela and I relocated it near the bathhouse because it kept calling over and over and you could hear it far away and wouldn't stop.  It seemed to be hanging by itself and not like American Crows that are always chasing something.  I stood under it and took pictures.  So I feel this was definitely a Fish Crow.  It almost sounded like a high-pitched duck call.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/