From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2014 21:02:06 -0400
Arrived at Ash Cave this morning in Hocking County prior to first light in order to get the full effect of an early May morning in SE Ohio (there is nothing like it) in pursuit of birds and wildflowers.  There were plenty of each.
Bird diversity was very good for the day, a total of 78 species between 3 locations.  I saw some unique bird behaviors and birds in unique areas.  For instance, I found a nest of Rock pigeons in the rock wall/rock ceiling at the terminal end of Ash Cave under the waterfall!  It was still really dark when back in this location when I heard them.   What puzzles me about this is how did a pair of these birds find this spot!  Parulas and Black-throated green warblers were the most common birds at this location.   Notably absent was Hermit thrush or Veery - I usually have one of those here.
Next, onto Conkles Hollow , a state nature preserve (northwest of Ash Cave) that is associated with the Hocking Hills area.  This magnificent Hemlock gorge provided several interesting finds, including 2 counter singing CANADA Warblers!  They sang incessantly at each other the entire time I was there.  The wildflower highlight here was jack-in-the-pulpit, easily over 100 of these flowers as you walk up into the gorge.
While driving over to the Hocking Hills lodge to look for Black vulture (which I surprisingly did not see all day), I found two hermit thrush that were so engaged in battling each other on the road in front of my car that I had to stop so they could figure it out.  While watching these two birds battle at what seemed was going to be for their lives, a third Hermit thrush entered the match and I have never seen anything like this.  A ball of feathers - these three birds were really going at it.  I once watched a pair of Warbling vireos do this at Magee marsh for a couple minutes.  This must be some prime habitat for this species - it was a spirited and breathtaking battle.
On SR 374 just north of Ash Cave, I observed a crow catch a Red Eft from the side of the road and it didn't seem to know what to do with it.  It walked around with it for awhile (still alive) but ended up walking over the hillside with it.  I imagine the little newt did not make it.
Another notable miss today was Broad-winged hawk.  Overall, Black-throated green warbler and parula were the most common species.  A memorable day in the field.

Glen Crippen
Athens