From:
Sheryl Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2014 07:31:51 -0400
East Harbor is pumping water from Middle Harbor,  the area that was so
productive for shorebirds last fall.  Yesterday, the  cool exposed mud was
producing a lot of fog, but I did see a Spotted Sandpiper  and someone else had
seen a Pectoral Sandpiper.

To access this area,  continue on Buck Rd past the park entrance, and then
past the park marina until  you reach a small parking lot at the end of the
road.  You can walk out  along the dike and view the harbor (you will be
looking eastward, so plan you  may wish to plan your visit according to the
sun's angle).

Continuing  down the dike you will reach a wooded area that can be a nice
migrant  trap.  Yesterday I had a Hooded Warbler, two Blue-headed Vireos, a
Magnolia  Warbler, a Yellow Warbler, and a few Palm, Nashville, and
Yellow-rumped  Warblers.

Maps for the park can be found at
http://www.eastharborstatepark.org/maps.htm .  East Harbor is about a half  hour east of Magee Marsh, just a few
miles off Route 2.

Other productive  areas for migrants are the southern edge of Middle Harbor
(park in the small lot  near the pond), and the South Beach trail,
especially on the path along the  beach ridge (not shown on the map, it is along the
area labeled "storm damaged  area, no swimming") or the old roadway that
parallels this path.  The tall  trees along the two way road that connects the
entrance and exit roads (opposite  the park office building entering, just
past the pond exiting) can also be  good.

Sheryl Young