From:
MK McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MK McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2014 21:36:13 -0400
Warblers!

Migrant and resident warblers, and other songbirds

Date: Sunday, May 11, 2014

Time: 8:00 a.m.

Sponsored by: Ohio Ornithological Society

Event Type: Field Trip

Cost: Free, but Park District auto sticker required ($10 annual or $3 daily)

Details: Come join leaders Brian Wulker and Ned Keller, along with SW OOS Director Kathy McDonald at Shawnee Lookout Park. Shawnee is well known for its historic Springhouse School and Log Cabin, spectacular views of the Ohio River, and archaeological earthworks, but did you know that it is also the breeding grounds for the Cerulean Warbler? One of the few places in Hamilton County!

On this weekend of International Migratory Bird Day, we are sure to find a great variety of resident and migrating migrants there. Birds are coming in everyday. The target nesting birds are American Redstart, Prothonotary Warbler, and Cerulean warblers.  We are sure to see other migrants passing through. We will visit Lost Bridge to look for returning Cliff Swallows, and if we have time, will venture to Oxbow, Inc., a unique area known for its diverse habitat in the central Ohio Valley, and one of the most important remaining wetlands along the shore of the Ohio River. Beginners are welcome on this trip, and our guides will be there to help you find and see these gems of the birding world.

Directions: From I-275, take the Kilby Road exit (Exit 21) and go south on Kilby. Turn right onto U.S. 50, continue to the next traffic light, and turn left onto Lawrenceburg Road. At the T intersection just after the bridge, turn right, staying on Lawrenceburg Road. The main entrance to Shawnee Lookout Park is on the left, in a little more than a mile. We will meet in the parking lot opposite the entrance to Shawnee Lookout Park.

Contact: Kathy McDonald, [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

Kathy McDonald
Connect with Nature at: http://www.midwestnativeplants.org
Sent from a mobile device, pardon the short reply.

“Earth's crammed with heaven...
But only those who see, take off their shoes.”
― Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Aurora Leigh