From:
Heather Aubke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Aubke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2014 12:32:13 -0400
As per Julie Gee's recent posting, I headed out to the flooded soccer
fields behind the Athens Walmart during my lunch break today in hopes of
relocating the Willets.  No luck, but I did find 2 Solitary Sandpipers
foraging in the shallows of the flooded field.  The only other water birds
I saw ere some Canada Geese and Mallards.

For those unfamiliar with the area, this large field abuts the Hocking
River, and is accessible via the HockHocking Adena Bikeway.  Also observed
during my brief time there were gobs of Red-winged Blackbirds and Grackles,
Northern Rough-winged Swallows, Tree Swallows, Cliff Swallows and Barn
Swallows.  Warblers included Common Yellowthroat and Yellow Warbler.  I
heard and saw my FOS Orchard Oriole in a tree bordering the bike path.  To
my surprise, I did not hear or see a single Killdeer, which is unusual in
this particular area.

Heather Aubke
Athens

--

Come visit me in the hills at Heather of the
Hills<http://heather-heatherofthehills.blogspot.com/>