OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2014

From:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2014 11:08:18 -0400
Great Crested Flycatchers have longer tails with reddish coloring
underneath and brown upper parts, especially on the head. The
characteristic shared by Western Kingbird and Great Crested Flycatchers
that may throw off some folks is that both have yellow bellies. Look at
Steve Landes' photos again and note the gray head and all-dark tail, then
compare that with Great Crested and the differences should be more apparent.

I sure hope this bird sticks around so I can go and see it (allergies be
damned!)

Andy Sewell
Columbus Ohio