OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2014 13:55:26 -0400
The Western Kingbird made several appearances in the prairie north of the windmill at Glacier Ridge this morning.  It appears to have a route that it runs, foraging around the windmill for a bit, then moving out into the shrubby part of the prairie to the NE.  It was seen around 8:00, 10:15, and 11:45, so the circuit has some variation, but if you don't see it when you first arrive, wait a while.  It has been foraging close to the ground, and coming in quite close, so it's worth waiting for a viewing.

The priaire is also putting on a good display of grassland birds, with 15+ calling E.Meadowlarks, 6-8 Bobolinks, and 3-4 singing Grasshopper & Henslow's Sparrows.  We couldn't find any Dickcissels, however.  Biking or hiking the loop trail can also bulk up your flycatcher list, as I also had E.Kingbirds, Great Crested, Pewees, E.Phoebe, Acadian, and Willow Flycatchers.